Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's been a while...

Hola! Not much has happened these past few days, which is why I haven't really been updating my blog.  My intensive language class is going well.  I'm still loving the city, my senora, and all of the amazing places to run.  However, this week has been pretty stressful.  I've had sooo many random things that I needed to take care of.

1. Buying my textbook.  The University's official Liberia (bookstore) didn't have the book the first two days that I tried to get it.  The lady at the bookstore told me they would have it the next day two days in a row! I went back two other times, and the store wasn't open.  I finally journeyed over to a different bookstore and got the book.
2. A cell phone.  I was really on the fence about if I should get a very simple, pay-as-you-go, cell phone for while I'm here.  After talking to other people in  my program, my mom, and a someone that I know who studied here last semester, I finally decided to buy one.  I went to the phone store and was very confused when they gave me two cell phones, each with a different number.  When I told them that I only needed one, they said that there was a special promotion going on, and that it would be the same price whether I just got the one phone, or both of them.  I think that it will be good to have a cell phone when trying to communicate with people here or for when I travel.  That leads to my next concern...
3. Traveling over break.  When our intensive language course ends at the end of January, we have a week break without classes.  After that week, we start our official classes at the University.  I definitely want to travel somewhere during the break. I started talking to other people here to see what they were planning.  I am probably going to go to Paris for a few days.  I just hate spending money, planning things, worrying about hostels, flights, costs, etc.
4. My camera.  After talking to one of my program managers, I decided that it would be too time consuming and costly to take it in to get fixed.  I was going to have my mom send me my old one, but now I think I am just going to buy a new one here.  There is an electronic store that is not far from my house that sells cameras for a pretty reasonable price.

Well, I think that those are my main concerns at the moment.  I just need to relax and take things one at a time. I haven't taken a siesta in days because I've been so busy! Hopefully things will settle down soon.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like you are having an amazing time! Do as you say and relax and enjoy it.....you will be looking back soon enough! Also, you will love Paris, but dress warm. Also, not writing as frequently says you have settled in more!
    Bon Voyage!
    Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advise Becky! Yes I am having an amazing time here. I will be sure to dress warm for Paris =]

    ReplyDelete