Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Hectic Week and a Relaxing Weekend

This week I was SUPER busy and stressed with classes.  For one thing, it was my week to present a news article for my POE class.  I get nervous enough having to speak in front of the class, but when it's completely in Spanish it's even scarier.  I had that presentation on Wednesday and it went okay, but it definitely could have been better.  I read way too much from the paper that I had prepared for the presentation and probably conjugated a bunch of verbs wrong.  That's another thing that I really let get to me this week; the fact that I continuously make the same stupid conjugation mistakes and forget words that I definitely should not be forgetting.  I'm starting to get worried that I won't be fluent enough in Spanish by the time that I leave Granada.  
Another thing that was causing me a lot of problems and anxiety this week was the fact that I needed to read a book for my Flamenco class that the University bookstore didn't have.  I went there on Monday and the girl that was working told me to come back tomorrow.  When I went back the next day they still didn't have it.  Then when I went back on Wednesday for the third day in a row it still wasn't there! I was starting to loose hope of ever getting the book but it was finally there on Thursday.  Since our Tuesday/Thursday classes met on Friday, I had two days to read the book.  Luckily it was very short, but still.  I also decided this week that I should just leave my camera in my backpack because every single day I see things that I want to take pictures of.  I added a few of my random pictures from the week.

Luckily Saturday was a lot better and just what I needed to relax and unwind from the long, hectic, and stressful week. I went on an amazing 9 miles long run along the river, running further then I ever have before along the Fuente de la Bicha.  In the afternoon I went to Carrefour, the awesome Target/Walmart like super center.  I have been avoiding getting a haircut for the longest time because I didn't know where to go, and everyone that I asked gave me different advise.  Little did I know, there is a hair salon in Carrefour where you can get a haircut for only 7 euro! The girl that cut my hair was so sweet.  Not only did she cut my hair, but she took time to dry it, straighten it, and make it look nice too.  When I tried to give her a tip, she told me that they weren't allowed to accept tips.  
The supermarket in Carrefour is pretty awesome too.  Just look at now many different types and flavors or Nocilla they had! (It's a brand that's only in Spain of crema del cocao.  It's sort of like Nutella, but some that are mixed flavors).  They also had ginormous jars of Nutella and it was the first time that I saw peanut butter in a supermarket in Spain.  They literally don't know about peanut butter in Spain.  One time I was trying to explain peanut butter and what it is used for to my senora.  When I showed her a picture of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, she was very confused and asked if people eat it for breakfast.  Of course it was another beautiful day in Granada with clear blue skies and lots of sun.  I walked home through Tico Medina park and took pictures along the way.   Later that day I went out for tapas with Amy, Ashely, Ashley's friend Amy, Rachel, and Sarah.  Sunday I procrastinated until about 3PM and then finally got down to doing some studying for the midterms that I have coming up.  It's daylight savings time in the U.S. today and I'm wondering why Spain doesn't have daylight savings times.  I'm also wondering what the time difference is now between here and the U.S.  

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you had the opportunity to unwind- sounds like you really needed it! Again, seeing your pictures made me totally excited about coming there! You are not as confused as you think, as you are the one that figured out that the time difference is now 6 hours.
    Love ya!
    Madre

    ReplyDelete