Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Classes and Fun Random Things about Spain

This week I started my actual classes at the Centro de Lenguas Modernas at the University of Granada.  I know that I've been here in Spain since the beginning of January, but we had an intensive language course for the first month.  Anyways, I have five classes but actually only have three different professors because two of them I have for two different classes.  Even though it's only the first week, I think I am going to like my classes and professors.  The only books that I had to buy were two photocopied packets for 5 euro each! I might have to get two other books for one class, but I shouldn't have to spend any more then about 20 euro on textbooks.  That's soooo crazy considering I've spent close to $500 on textbooks for one semester at Illinois State.  


On Monday night there was a little get together for the people in my program at a bar called bar Lola that is near our school.  There was a bunch of free tapas and drinks and such so that was fun.  On Friday we are taking a day trip to Ronda, which I think is about 2 hours away from here.  


Lastly, I just wanted to include a few things about Spain that I find entertaining because they are very different from the U.S. I'm pretty sure that I already mentioned these things in another blog entry, but I figured I would explain them a bit more.  


 1. When you go to the supermarkets in Granada, chances are you will see most people using these cute little rolling shopping bags.  There are even designated areas by the check out lines for people to lock up their cart while they shop.  They charge you for grocery bags, which is why everyone either uses their little shopping cart or brings their own bag.   My personal favorite supermarket is called Mercadona.  Another popular one is called Conviran.

  
2. In the living room, there is a round table that is covered with a blanket and a table cloth type thing.  Then there is a heater underneath the table.  When you are cold, you simply turn the heater on and  lift up the blanket/table cloth combination that is draped over the table and put it on your lap.  Since the heather is underneath the small round table, the heat is some-what trapped inside.  It's pretty hard to explain, but hopefully my pictures help.
  
3. The bathrooms.  One thing that we definitely don't have in the U.S. is the bidet.  It's funny because in my intensive language class the teacher was trying to explain what it was used for.  Out of a class of 10 people, I was the only one who knew and only because my mom's friend had commented on one of my blog posts a while ago.  Also, my showers aren't very enjoyable since the shower head doesn't connect to the top thing like it's supposed to.  I have to turn the water on and off several times when I shower to shampoo, condition, shave, etc.  


Also, the over a month long "Rebajas" are on their final stage before they are over.  That means that there are crazy, end of the sales deals being advertised in just about every single store window.  It is sooo hard passing all of the stores multiple times a day.  Seriously, my will-power is really being tested right now.  


My dog bit from a few days ago is pretty black and blue and gross looking.  I hope it scars though cause it will be a nice match to the scar of Hero's (Kaity's three legged dog) teeth marks on my other thy from when he bit me about a year ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment